Friday, January 02, 2009

Another lay off

O.K., that 7 week vacation turned into a 12 week vacation, ten of those weeks we were laid off, two were vacation weeks as per the previous post.

So, I went back to work the day after Labor day, it was a good summer. Of course the word was out that the Michigan Truck Plant was going to change over to small car production. This would take two years, I found that out from the company and the union so it wasn't any big secret but everyone has their speculations.

We built our last truck on Wednesday b4 Thanksgiving, I had my hands on it at about 8:15 a.m.
So, I have been on layoff(no vacation) since b4 Thanksgiving. On that last day I talked to my union rep. about the plants that I had bid on; he tells me I bid on a plant that wasn't taking bids, they were on the list of elligable plants whose laid off employees could bid on other plants. I was also told that all my bids would be thrown out based upon the reasoning that I'd filled mine out incorrectly.

I called and talked to another union official, who had some papers, probably the bids for other plants, with him at the time of the call, so he told me I'd bid on Dearborn Engine and Fuel Tank. Well, my initial guess is it ain't going to be anything like working in Trim.

I also found out, in talking to someone else, that the union and company are still debating the issue of retooling MTP or not. Well, when I start up at this plant in Dearborn and find that it is alot better than Trim or Paint, I won't want to go back to an assembly plant, but who knows what the future will hold.

I still have asperations of continueing my education, just don't think it is going to be Biomedical electronics, the last class I took made me reconsider; my brain can't seem to wrap itself around the mathimatical requirments for that profession. So, upon doing some brainstorming recently, I think I might see if I am can try for an allied health degree, perhaps medical imaging? Time will be an answer to that question.

I am due to be picked up on my bid for Dearborn Engine in March; I don't know any particulars of that. I think I am going to have to drive down there, b4 I start, so I can figure out the best route. It adds about 5 to 6 miles to my distance to work, but it will depend on the time of day as to how much time it will add, since traffic east and west is heavy in the Detroit metro area, depending on time of day, and to some degree, the closer to Detroit, the more crowded the north /south corridors are as well, again, depending on the time of day, and that will depend on what shift or start time I will begin with.

Well, I praise God for winning this bid. And I am thankful to everyone, and I have no clue as to who or how many, who has kept me in their prayers. I believe that because of my beliefs as a christian that this has not been a stressful time for me.

I also know, even though I didn't vote for the current president elect, that God is in control and He uses all things to His advantage; that is hard for we as humans to comprehend, but then I feel it is not one of our capabilities to comprehend God, but we all need to put our trust in Him.

Time will tell, as it does with all things, how the future president, as of this post, will be judged.

That is all.

Later,

Tim

No comments: